Angelo's Earthquake Diary
L'Aquila, 6 April 2009 - Preface - The following diary, written by Angelo De Nicola, and published day by day on Il Messaggero, is here translated into English.
Angelo considers himself one of the lucky survivors, whose task is now to take the torch and lead the way, fighting pessimism, despondency and fear, for our sake, for the sake of our children, for the sake of our ancestors who made our dear Aquila the great city it was, the great though terribly wounded city it is, the splendid city it is going to be in the future, if we do not give in.
- 7 april 2009 - Howling death: my daughter was safe, the house was gone
- 8 april 2009 - The community of the displaced kept together by mobile phones
- 10 april 2009 - Are you alive? And gifts start coming
- 11 april 2009 - No funerals, since yesterday I have decided to live
- 12 april 2009 - I met four angels
- 14 april 2009 - Instead of Easter wishes, a poem of hope
- 15 april 2009 - The usual basketball match of Tuesday night? "Count on me"
- 16 april 2009 - One homeless announcing disasters
- 17 april 2009 - But very few of the displaced want to go back to the city now
- 18 april 2009 - Nonna Fausta finds her lost ears again
- 19 april 2009 - The four "angels" wrote me ... to thank me
- 20 april 2009 - What dignity! You Aquilans nobilitate us Abruzzese
- 21 april 2009 - I went to the barber, MY barber